5.30.2004

Seedling success

My seedlings were successful this year with the grow light setup that I constructed but I will not have gotten them in the ground with enough time to grow anything substantial. My tomatoes should have gone into the ground in late April since I purchased Wall-o-waters from one of my favorite seed catalogs, Seeds of Change but we knew we were moving so I wasn't about to plant them in ground I wouldn't be seeing again. But we had a good harvest of alpine strawberries and peas. Jessi gets so excited when she sees red ripe ones that she can pick and devour! Yesterday we ate a few handfuls of peas too. If there's one thing that makes an early kitchen garden worthwhile it's fresh peas. They taste 100 times better than the ones in the store. Nothing comes close.

Here are the seeds that I planted this year so far:


  • Lemon Cucumber
  • Moon and Stars Watermelon
  • Chanterais Melon
  • Mesclun Lettuce
  • North Pole Lettuce
  • Speckles Lettuce
  • Tangerine Marigold
  • Heavenly Blue Morning Glory
  • Shelling Peas - Maxigolt
  • Basil - Genovese (for one of my favorite recipes - Roasted Tomato Basil Soup from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook)
  • Pepper - Carnival Mix Bell
  • Pepper - Hot Mixture
  • Easter Egg Radish (did this as an experiment for Jessi because it's quick and is so colorful - but the moment she bit into it she knew she didn't like it too much)
  • Swiss Chard - Bright Lights (unsuccessful)
  • Teton Spinach (also unsuccessful)
  • Mexican Husk Tomatillo
  • Tomato - Marvel Striped Heirloom
  • Tomato - Super Sweet 100
  • Tomato - Super Marzano (for the Roasted Tomato Basil Soup)
  • Tomato - Brandywine
  • Tomato - Yellow Pear Heirloom
  • Tomato - Early Girl
  • Tomato - Fourth of July
  • Viola - Johnny Jump-Ups
  • Viola - Scotch Hybrid
  • Sunflower - Miriam Edible (won't get to reap the success or failure of this since I used all of them up at the old house)
  • Sunflower - Sunrise Sunset


The lemon balm, chives, alpine strawberries, and purple coneflower already in the garden are doing well and I will probably take them with me to the new place because they I feel that they are my babies too since I've been caring for them for so long. I love using the chive blossoms in salads and the chives in a compound butter with coarse salt and pepper. Slather it on some corn, wrap in tin foil and throw it on the grill. Delish! My rosemary plants died from the winter's cold and snow. But that's easy enough to replace from a local nursery. I use so much rosemary because I'm a potato addict and it's such a natural pairing. They taste sublime together with some olive oil, coarse salt and freshly grated black pepper and roasted in the oven.

I don't think I will be taking the garlic with me. I don't even know if you can transplant bulbs in the middle of their growing season. I'll have to research this sometime during the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home