7.18.2004

The Exhaustion Factor

Yesterday was a frustrating knitting day.  I should preface all of this with the observation that I had a lousy night sleep.  I fell asleep at about 1 a.m. and got up at 6:15 and couldn't go back to sleep (and my sleep was fitful at best while I was in bed).  So I should have known better than attempt to anything new, or anything at all.  Mike and I joked in the morning that he should keep his cell phone on and nearby in case I need to call him regarding a sewing machine injury from lack of sleep and operation of new machinery (as it turns out the woman sitting next to me in the class had an injury and blood which I helped to remedy with, what else, a Pooh Band-aid, because that's all I had - but she was a pediatric oncologist so she was not offended by this).  After my sewing class I came home and was determined to start on some baby booties for baby #2 and I have a pattern from a book that I checked out from the library (Quick Knits for Generous Giving) and was ready to go with some leftover Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn.  I started and everything was going okay but I forgot to gauge it and it ended up being too small for all but a Barbie doll (or Ken doll since I was using baby blue for the color) or my old Cabbage Patch dolls (which my mom shipped to me in recent years during her downsizing mode and with which Jessi now plays).  So I ripped it.  After dinner and getting Jessi to bed, which was way too late in the evening for her bedtime... and about 2 hours after I had declared my exhaustion I decided to pick up Charlotte.  What was I thinking?  Why didn't I pick up the felted tote that I'm knitting on circulars where all I have to do is knit, knit, knit, repeat as often as desired?  I'm on row 15 and I tried to do the lace pattern and couldn't do it so I went back to the beginning of the row and tried again.  I didn't even make it right side lace pattern and had to undo it until the start of the row again.  I put it away and was discouraged that I didn't make any progress on it and felt like maybe I had picked the wrong project.  But this morning, after a very good night sleep - 8 hours!! only interrupted twice by trips to the restroom, I gave it another try.  And this time I was able to do not just row 15, but a few rows with no problem.  Sometimes you just get so tired that you don't even realize that you are tired (and shouldn't be doing anything except sleeping).  So my confidence is restored and I was able to touch my purply Koigu KPPPM that I'm using on for my first color in Charlotte this morning.  It's gorgeous. 
 
And today I'm starting on the booties again but using a different pattern (the Classic Cashmere Booties from Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies).  Maybe this pattern won't be so annoying.  Yes, I'm avoid the oatmeal baby blanket another day.
 
Here is some Koigu that I received from Patternworks. Are these my Charlotte colors? Nope. Some of colors listed here made it in but some have been placed in my stash. The one in the middle is the first color I am using that I mentioned above - simply amazing.  When I opened my most recent package containing the last 2 colors I had on backorder at Patternworks, I knew that my Charlotte colorway was complete. Intrigued? I'll keep you in suspense until tomorrow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home