7.12.2004

Tea Party and Gazpacho

I'm up at 5:30 this morning. Ugggh - pregnancy and allergies are a very tiring combination so I'm in my office (aka - the floor of my closet) blowing my nose and doing some business (online shopping and knitting) before my day really starts. Ahhh, privacy and silence.

My sports watch has been dead for the past few months so I ordered a new one finally. This is the watch that I will wear everyday because although my gold/silver watch looks nicer, I'm more the sporty type and like to be able to keep my watch on and never have to remember to take it off (shower, pool, etc.). My old watch is a Nike Triax and I loved the look of it and more importantly it does everything I want it to do so I ordered the updated version. Much styling has been done in the last 5 years or so since I last bought my previous one. The most important feature to me is the interval timer since I use this for running (I use Jeff Galloway's run/walk method for increased endurance - although I haven't run or done any formal exercise since finding out I was pregnant - doctor's orders this time around). Run/walking is the only way I am able to run more than 3 miles. I've used it in every race I've ever ran (5k, 8k, 10k, 10 miler, and the biggie - the marathon). Race is really a misnomer in my case since I don't run as fast as I can; I just run and have fun with the other early-risers and wear my race t-shirt with pride. I also judge races by the race food they have after (and if it's a big one, by the expo). I know that at some point I won't be pregnant and will be getting sleep after the little one arrives so I know that these watch features will come in handy again in the future. The other watch I always have considered is the Timex Ironman but they never look as nice and previously the features lagged behind Nike's.

I've decided to join Alison's Tea Party knitalong. I have leftover yarn from the Summer Sorbet tank in the same gauge needed as required for the tea party. I've only been at it sporadically today for a couple of hours and it's already starting to look like a cup and I'm ready for the bind off - imagine that! I can't figure out how to do the bind off, though. And did I mention that I ripped it out twice too (only the base part - first I was knitting into the front and the back of too many stitches and the second time I was forgetting to do all the even numbered rows)? Admittedly, I often have problems following directions. Sometimes I just need to s-l-o-w down and read.

I will try to concentrate more on the baby blanket now that Jessi's tank is finished but have I said that I don't like this at all? I'm using US 8s but think that something smaller would have been better. This blanket is just so big... I wanted something more to bundle the baby in, not to bundle the baby and 4 of its closest friends. I've been eyeing the Bad Ass Baby Blanket from the Stitch and Bitch book but cannot bring myself to spend $80 on Koigu (as much as I am love with this yarn and am building up quite the stash for the Charlotte shawl) and not be able to machine wash it. I know how much babies spit up and pee and poop so I'm not ready to knit this up and have it ruined... yet. But I reserve the right to change my mind.

I'm going to try the DMV yet again today although I can't find my valid passport or birth certificate. I have an expired passport. Will this work? Stay tuned. And it's haircut time for Linky. She hasn't had a bath since we moved. Ick, I know. But we don't have the same shower head (yet) as we did in our old house where you can take it down and use it close up to get the doggy dirt out. And now she needs a haircut so off to get groomed!!

Mike moved the baby glider from the nursery to our room temporarily so that I'd have a comfy place to knit (and he wanted the kitchen chair back at the kitchen table that I had taken hostage). He's so thoughtful sometimes! Plus our room is huge and we don't want to spend money on furniture for a cozy sitting area just yet.... because did I mention that the leak still isn't fixed? We thought it was but it's back and we noticed that there some leakage into the nearby bathroom (a crack in the floor tile). Is this one leak, two, or more? Who knows. The plumber was supposed to come Sunday 12-2. Then it was 2-4. Then at 5:30 they called to say they weren't coming. Yesterday someone came down but couldn't fix it because he was clueless and was told by dispatch that it was a clog. No, quite clearly, a leak is the opposite of a clog. So, supposedly a "master plumber" is coming on Wednesday.

Jessica helped me make gazpacho this week. We had a great time and she did most of the work. I cut the veggies into chunks and she put each vegetable into the food processor and turned it on. Then I poured it into our biggest bowl and she stirred it. She makes a great sous chef! This soup is so refreshing to eat on a hot summer day (like yesterday when I whipped some out when I got hungry at the pool). Lots of big flavor from delicious fresh vegetables. I've included my favorite recipe for it. Saturday I had it with a grilled cheese. I just love dipping the sandwich in the soup and taking a big bite. YUM!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Gazpacho

Recipe By :Ina Garten
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 hothouse cucumber -- halved and seeded, but not peeled
2 red bell peppers -- cored and seeded
4 plum tomatoes
1 red onion
3 garlic cloves -- minced
23 ounces tomato juice (3 cups)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Roughly chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!
After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.

Copyright:
"Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love gazpacho but haven't tried Ina's recipe yet (have the book though!). This might be a good little project for me and the girls who love to cut (with the paring knife!). Thx for the idea! Hope the DMV goes well today!

~Susan~
http://imaginecreativenamehere.typepad.com/

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home