8.10.2004

Sundby Front and First Sleeve Finished

I finished the front and the first sleeve of my Noro Sundby. So now I have the front, back, and first sleeve done and cast on for the second sleeve last night (but didn't do much else on it - just the cast on). I just noticed that there are no blocking instructions... and since I've never blocked before I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. Am I supposed to not block? I was looking forward to my first blocking experience. Pretty lame, I know but I consider this as entering a new stage as a knitter... one who blocks. I can figure out the dimensions of the front and the back and the length of the sleeve... is there usually another dimension of the sleeve like the width at the top and the bottom?

I do now test my gauge and haven't had to change needles yet (although I never keep the swatch or wash it to see how it behaves - which I probably should; I just rip it out and start the project). Was curious to see what others knitters do... so if you have any swatching practices please leave some comments (and your email if you want me to be able to respond).

I also realized that I will not have enough yarn to finish the second sleeve. I used the "weigh method". I got out my kitchen scale and a bowl, zeroed it out (to eliminate the bowl weight), and put the finished sleeve in: 2.9 oz. Then I put the yarn I have left: 2.1 oz. Nope. Not going to be enough. So I need to call the yarn store to see if they have the same lot and fork over $20 just to finish the sleeve. I don't know what I was thinking since the pattern clearly calls for 500g for a medium which is 5 hanks and I purchased 4 (the amount needed for a small). So it's all my fault.

Since I didn't want to knit this second sleeve I started on a Reverse Bloom Flower Washcloth in Mission Falls 1824 Cotton in a muted lime green color. I have 3 petals so far.

I went to the library on Sunday to pick up a hold that I had waiting for me: The Shop on Blossom Street. I'm more than halfway into it now which proves to me that I can still find time for reading and that Anna Karenina wasn't doing it for me. Perhaps it's the length. But I will continue on even if I am sidetracked by some fun, easy chick lit along the way.

Today we have Jessica's 3 year check-up and then it's off to a new friend's house in the neighborhood for a playdate. Yesterday was filled with tantrums (one in the middle of the grocery store) so I'm just hoping that today is easier. It's never good to go to a new friend's house and have your child act like the exorcist. The only good thing is that the first time and only time we've gotten together with them her child was the one performing the theatrics.

Potty training is going well. Jessi was very successful in making it to the potty many times yesterday but she also had 3 accidents - all at home even though I had just suggested using the potty minutes before on each occasion - she is just so stubborn. I have no idea where she gets this from. Couldn't be me (Mom, stop laughing the "I'm-getting-even-with-you" laugh for talking back to me during the tween and teenage years). Or my husband. Nooooo. But we happily use the potty when nature calls. We save our stubbornness for other situations.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janis said...

Fantastic!
I am knitting the Sundby too...finished the front and back, and am just starting the sleeve. I know I am surely making this harder than it has to be...but I can't for the life of me figure out the increases, AND keep the seeded rib stitch pattern straight. PLEASE...how did you do it? I have 33 stitches cast on.
You're a peach for helping!!!
Janis
ps...do I increase at each edge in the same row 8 times? (every 10 rows)

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home