9.02.2004

Secret Pals III Answers

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I guess I am a yarn snob in that I haven't used any Red Heart or Lion Brand. I've tended to use the yarns that I find in my LYS because of the support that it provides and they carry higher-end yarns. The ones I've used that I like the best so far are from Rowan, Debbie Bliss, and Koigu (KPPPM). I found that I really like Merino Wool (Karabella Aurora 8 and KPPPM).

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I don't do either currently but I'd love to learn how to do both (and dye my own yarn too).

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

I'm allergic to cats. And I'm probably allergic to most dogs and perfumes. My husband and I call ourselves bubble kids because we are so allergic.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I've been knitting since mid-December 2003.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, probably the biggest one on record at Amazon that I've been keeping since I found out about Amazon.com. It's more of a list for myself of my wish list of books to read. It's embarrassing how big it is.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Vanilla!! I've been wearing Body Shop's Vanilla Oil since I was in middle school and it's still the scent I prefer. I did recently purchase some Verbena Perfume from L'Occitane and some of their Honey Water Perfume but I still prefer the simple Vanilla Oil (sometimes mixed with their Satsuma oil - then I smell like an orange Creamsicle)

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Right now (37 weeks pregnant) I have more of a salty tooth but I've been eating my fair share of semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies. I prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I just learned to sew. I also like to grow veggies and fruits in the garden. I love cooking and baking (cookies and breads mostly) too. I enjoy rubber stamping (for cards). I've made jewelry in the past but haven't gotten around to doing it recently (there's only so much hobby time in the day and knitting has been taking up most of my time). I tried painting recently (on a flowerpot) - fun! I like all things crafty I guess.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD)
I like some modern stuff like Sarah McLaughlin, Cold Play, and Jet; some of my favorites are from the 80s & 90s like U2 and Bon Jovi and I also have a love for 60's stuff like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Simon and Garfunkel, and the Grateful Dead (my uncle's influence). Yes, my computer can play MP3s but I don't use a portable MP3 player (I'm too busy carrying sippy cups, changes of clothes for the potty training months, snacks, etc.).

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
I look best in pastels (pink, purple, blue, green). But I like to knit with some brighter colors in these families too. Nothing considered "Fall color" looks good on me, sadly enough. I'm a pale-skinned mama.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am happily married (just celebrated 7 years this Tuesday). We have a 3 year-old girl and we have a baby boy on the way any day now. We also have a black and white shih-tzu named Linky.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To be happy! I'd love to continue to be happily married, have healthy and loving children. My mom and all of my family to be in good health and around for many more years.


13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I haven't been knitting too long so I don't have a lot of experience from which to draw. But I've really enjoyed knitting with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
So far I haven't liked the 100% acrylic yarn with which I made the Summer Sorbet Tank. But I've used acrylic yarns (novelty) that I thought were just great. Oh I just remembered that there was a yarn that I think was called flax (either by Rowan or Berocco) that I didn't like at all.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I've been trying to do stash-enhancement because I'm afraid that I won't be able to get out much (or it will be very difficult) with a 3 year-old and a newborn. I've been trying to finish things that I have going now (Lacy Sweater, Klaralund, Grace, some socks). I love DB, Rowan and Koigu yarns and want to get some Kersti... but I think I'm going to rip out Charlotte and start over from the beginning. I've been making too many errors. I also want to try new yarns that I've heard good things about (Cascade 220, Lorna's Laces, All Seasons Cotton). So learning as much as I can about knitting and yarns and patterns that I like are my obsessions. I am reading Sweater Design in Plain English in hopes of being able to adapt patterns to fit my shape better.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anything!! But I'd like to knit more:
A. kids sweaters (from PipSqueaks - the Sweetheart/Little Star sweater for my 3 year old and Scamp; Mya from Rowan Junior)
B. socks
C. cardigans and sweaters for myself (because I love to wear them)


17. What are you knitting right now?
Lacy Sweater
DB Grace Cardigan (Cotton Angora)
Socks for hubby
Socks for Jessi
Klaralund

18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us)
I like pnchos and knit one for myself this summer since tanks were out of the question with my expanding belly and I mixed a ton of very bright colors and have only worn it once. I should have opted for one color family as in the Colinette Kits... knit and learn!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circulars

20. How did you learn to knit?
I took a class at my previous LYS, Woowinders.

21. How old is your oldest UFO?
Since I haven't been knitting for too long my oldest UFOs are probably both from January: (1.)the baby blanket that I've decided I hate because my gauge is off and I realize it's practically an afghan - and one I don't like and (2.)a vest knit in Rowan felted tweed from the book Hip to Knit because I won't be able to wear it for a while

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home