12.15.2004

Whole Foods Market Cookbook

So I went through my copy of The Whole Foods Market Cookbook and wrote down a bunch of recipes that I'd like to try if I pick this book for my Cookbook Challenge. Even though I'd like to try to eat healthier most of the recipes I picked weren't *that* healthy because they still had to sound appealing. And there's no way I could pass an Oat Burger by my meat-eating husband. I love oats myself and am skeptical about this one. Also seitian is most definitely a no-go. But the first recipe up that I'm planning for next week is Baked Falafel Balls (p 27) with Lemon Tahini Sauce (p311). I love Falafel and I'm planning on making this for a lunch for me and Jessi. We went to a restaurant recently that we thought would have hummus and falafel so I kept telling her that we were going to eat it and then when we got to the restaurant they said that they didn't have any and Jessi started crying. It took a while to calm her down and convince her to have a burger and fries. We haven't found a place that serves falafel and hummus like we had where we used to live.... so we'll try our hand at making our own.

Then there are the recipes in this book that I would only try when my husband is out of town like Triple Mushroom and Leek Srudel which sounds so yummy to me or Mushroom Goat Cheese Quesedillas. Basically anything with mushrooms unless pulverized beyond oblivion won't pass my husband's lips. I get such pleasure, though, when I am able to sneak some by like in my latest coup - Turkey and Wild Mushroom Meat Loaf Patties with Pan Gravy (from Rachael Ray, recipe follows). I'm still going to go through 1 or 2 more cookbooks to see which one I'll go with for the challenge.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey and Wild Mushroom Meat Loaf Patties with Pan Gravy
Recipe By :Rachael Ray
Serving Size : 4
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- 2 turns of the pan for the mushrooms, 1 turn for the patties
8 cremini mushrooms -- (baby portobellos), chopped
8 shiitake mushrooms -- chopped
1 shallot -- chopped
Salt and pepper
1 1/3 pounds ground turkey -- the average weight of 1 package
3 sprigs fresh sage -- leaves chopped, about 2 tablespoons (3 to 4)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce -- eyeball it
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg -- beaten
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add chopped mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Saute mushrooms 5 or 6 minutes until dark and tender. Remove from heat.

Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and return pan to stove top to preheat to cook patties.

Add turkey to the mushroom mixture. Make a well in the center of the meat. Add sage, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs and beaten egg and season with salt and pepper. Mix turkey meat loaf and make a small 1-inch patty. Place meat in the hot pan and cook 1 minute on each side. Taste the mini patty to help you adjust seasonings. Divide meat loaf mixture into 4 equal parts by scoring the meat before you form patties. Form 4 equal oval patties 1 inch thick.
Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, and arrange patties in the skillet. Cook 6 minutes on each side and transfer to a serving plate or individual dinner plates.

Return pan to heat and add butter. When butter melts, whisk in flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in stock and season gravy with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer gravy until it reaches desired thickness, and pour over patties, reserving a little to pass at the table.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now you've done it...must go get my copy of this cookbook off the shelf and look up those falafel balls. {drooling here...} I have a really good hummus recipe if you need another to try. yummmmmmmmmmy

sUsAn
http://imaginecreativenamehere.typepad.com

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home